How To Become a Chemistry Tutor?
If you have a passion for teaching others and love chemistry, becoming an online chemistry tutor on the TutorOcean marketplace is easy. Our students from all over the world are looking for expert tutors like you for private tutoring sessions on topics from organic chemistry to ap chemistry, ib chemistry, inorganic chemistry, and so much more.
Your first step in becoming a tutor will be to decide which level of chemistry you’d like to teach. Regardless of your teaching experience, if you have a passion and deep knowledge of chemistry concepts you will be able to share your knowledge to help others succeed with learning.
Before you start tutoring, we always strongly advise new tutors to get familiar with the curriculum and key concepts for the grade levels and courses they want to teach. Then it’s important to establish your own teaching methods and tools, generate a supplemental learning source list, and then eventually you will create your own materials over time as you get more experience working with students.
Chemistry Tutoring & Teaching FAQ’s
A private chemistry tutor can expect to help their students from learning basic chemistry concepts like ' what is chemistry?' to supporting a student throughout a complete school year chemistry course. Students will usually require help covering additional support concepts including math, science, physics, and more. Whether you are teaching inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry, or even analytical chemistry, a private tutor is expected to be well-rounded to ensure they can support the entire student's learning needs.
With TutorOcean, all our tutors set their own pay rates and time schedules. The industry average chemistry tutor hourly pay is $28/hr. All tutors have the flexibility and freedom to set their rates to get paid what they think is fair. Often new tutors will set rates lower to help start building out their clientele and gain a few positive reviews to stand out. Becoming a great tutor takes time, but well worth it as it's an opportunity to earn enough as a full-time wage or become a great source for a supplemental income, the choice and freedom are completely yours. Spend the time to learn what other tutors are charging in your area, based upon their experience and education levels.
If you have a passion for teaching others and love chemistry, becoming a tutor is easy. At a minimum, you will need a high school degree or diploma to start teaching kindergarten and middle school grade levels. You may need a degree in a specialist subject for higher-level chemistry courses depending on the level you plan to teach.
Although only 10% of our tutors who submit an application make it through our selection process, we encourage everyone to apply. You will find that 60% of our chemistry tutors have a bachelor’s degree, and about 5% have a master’s degree. We recommend that our chemistry tutors have a high school degree to start teaching kindergarten and middle school grade levels. For higher-level chemistry courses, you should have a university or college degree. Lastly, some of our tutors help with specialized topics; therefore, taking that specialization and scoring a mark over 80% usually sets you up for success.
With TutorOcean, we make teaching chemistry online easy. We provide all our qualified tutors with a free online virtual learning platform. Our tutoring toolkit includes chat, video conferencing, and most importantly a collaborative whiteboard where images, concepts, files, and so much more can easily be shared and worked on collaboratively to make fully remote online tutoring possible.
For high school chemistry tutor jobs, we often have an undergraduate student help teach general chemistry. For university school chemistry tutor jobs, we recommend having at least excelled in the biology course you are teaching. A peer tutor is sometimes preferred by certain students as they prefer to learn from someone who has recently gone through the course. While other students prefer a more experienced tutor for their academic support needs including those with more tutoring experience. Also be prepared to help a student learn other key areas to support their chemistry learning needs including math, science, biology, and physics. Don't be surprised if your tutoring session also includes some writing tutoring to help a tutee learn key skills such as how to present their answers for chemistry class or how to better prepare for the organic chemistry exam.
Why Chemistry Tutors Should Use TutorOcean
- Easy to Start: Create your own free profile in minutes and get approved in two to five business days.
- Well Paid: You get to set your own rates for tutoring.
- Flexibility: Decide when you want to tutor.
- Convenience: Tutor online or in-person, or both!
- Global Reach: Students in 100+ countries.
- Marketing Support: Lead generation and training.
- Billing and Payments: We take care of all the hassle of collecting fees from students.
- Tutoring Management Tools: Scheduling and booking, to communicating with students.
- Virtual Learning Classroom: We supply all of our tutors with access to our free virtual learning platform with chat, video conferencing, and leading whiteboard collaborative tools where you can upload any materials you need to succeed with online teaching.
- World-Class Support: Our customer service team is here to help you and your students for free every step of the way, so do not hesitate to reach out to us!
How the TutorOcean Tutoring Marketplace Works
Getting started with TutorOcean as a tutor is easy. Here are 5 simple steps:
- Start Your Application
- Fill in some personal information.
- Add your education and work experience.
- Choose subjects you’d like to teach.
- Customize Your Profile
- Add a headline and description.
- Upload images and videos.
- Choose your schedule and hourly rate.
- Connect with Students
- Students use our search engine to view tutor profiles.
- They can message and video chat live with you.
- Start Tutoring
- Our booking & notification system makes scheduling easy.
- Teach using our advanced online classroom, or teach in person.
- We handle payments so you can focus on teaching.
- Promote Yourself
- We are happy to help you with growing your tutoring efforts.
- From tips on how to leverage social media to post your profiles on local classifieds and job boards.
- Lastly, we can help you generate more reviews for your profile so you can stand out.